About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong fabric artist who loves bringing a home to life with quirky, unique and sumptuous pieces of textile art. I learnt my craft from sharing many a happy hour sewing with my talented mother. I particularly like collage, free-machining, needle-felting and creating home furnishings using a combination of machine and hand sewing. I love incorporating vintage and reclaimed fabrics, buttons, beads, jewellery and other items in my work to give them a second chance at being beautiful.

Wednesday 23 March 2016

WOYWW - wet felted backgrounds

Hello lovely reader! It's Wednesday once again, so time to share with you what's on my workdesk today.

Yesterday I was a very busy bee and wet felted several pieces of background felt for my larger 'dumflings' (that's needlefelted pictures for the uninitiated!)

This supply of wet felted backgrounds should be enough for ten pictures, which I'll probably free-machine embroider.

You can also see a peek of my large sheepy picture which I've been working on for several weeks now. Yesterday I free-machined the foreground and lightly felted some pinky purple detail to suggest foxgloves. I'm now at that dangerous stage where I may be tempted to add too much detail so I'm going to leave it for a while.

Here are some of the fabulous pieces of work that the lovely ladies of Teme Valley Embroidery Guild produced on my workshop at the weekend.


The Guild members gave me such a warm welcome and, with all their enthusiasm and skill, made the workshop a joy to run.

I've got a bit of a breather now until my next workshop on 25 June so I'm working on some new pieces. I'm stocking four shops now so I am totally out of stock! On Monday I set up my pitch at the latest outlet - The Bog Visitors Centre by the Stiperstones - a beautiful rugged landscape in south Shropshire.

Well that's all for today, I have a sleeping toddler so must make the most of the time and get cracking with these new background pieces.

Thanks for stopping by,

Happy crafting

Max x

9 comments:

  1. Blimey Max - it has been a busy week hasn't it! Your workshop ladies did you proud there - some lovely little dumflings and so beautifully framed too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your backgrounds!! And your large sheepy picture is coming along nicely, I love it! Wow, four shops! How exciting for you! Here's hoping that you are being blessed with lots of activity in those shops! I love what the guild members cranked out in your class! I am sooo jealous, would love to be a part! The photo is obviously a testimony to what a great teacher you are! Good luck with your backgrounds today as your little man has nappy time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pieces!
    Have a great day.
    Diane - WOYWW #32

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max, wow! you have been busy busy busy! Love these, what a talented soul you are. Thanks for sharing, what an inspiration. Happy woyww, Lyns #21 xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Max- loving your pictures, and from the amount you are selling, clearly lots of other people do too! Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #29 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! I love your backgrounds. Sounds like the workshop was fun.

    Have a great week
    Sharon k #51

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw signs for the Bog Centre when we stayed near ther on holiday last year....we just ran out of time and I never got to visit though. I'm glad your workshops are going well, they must be a lot of fun. I like the larger sheepy dumplings too 😊💖
    Hugs, LLJ 1 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheepy dumplings....!!!! That's a whole different art form, lol. Blooming auto correct, that'll teach me to proofread my comments 😂
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dumpfling backgrounds are going to be stunning and your workshop looks like it has already produced a number of great works of art.
    sandra de @28

    ReplyDelete